The ‘Trio Presidency’ is the name given to the cooperation that takes place over an 18‑month period between the three EU member states that successively hold the 6‑month rotating presidency of the Council of the EU. Close cooperation between these states ensures that particular topics receive continuous attention over an extended period.
Austria and its predecessors Estonia and Bulgaria make up the ‘Trio Presidency’ from 1 July 2017 to 31 December 2018. The three states have agreed upon a joint 18‑month programme that focuses on the following five topics:
- a Union for jobs, growth and competitiveness
- а Union that empowers and protects all its citizens
- towards an Energy Union with a forward-looking climate policy
- a Union of freedom, security and justice
- the Union as a strong global actor
The next ‘Trio Presidency’ is made up of Romania (first half of 2019), Finland (second half of 2019) and Croatia (first half of 2020).